« Back to jordanbalagot.com
How to Make a DIY Music Staff Roller Stamp

Posted on Sunday 13 April 2008

Here are instructions on how to make a Music Staff Roller Stamp, a rolling ink stamp you can use to quickly draw a staff onto paper for jotting down musical ideas.
DIY Music Staff Roller

You can get all the hardware for less than $10 and it only takes about 2 minutes to make.

Materials:
1 brass door hinge post (~3 inches long)
6 small washers that fit on the post (~half inch wide)
5 thin large washers that fit on the post (~1 inch wide)
1 cork, cut in half
1 drill, to drill hole slightly smaller than hinge post in cork halves
1 ink pad
Plastic container to store the stamp (otherwise it gets messy)

Watch the video for building instructions. Leave your comments and questions here! I tried rubber washers and the ink sticks better, but the lines were too blurry and they were too flimsy. I tried smaller washers but they were too small for the cork. So far, the large metal washers work best.

6 Comments for 'How to Make a DIY Music Staff Roller Stamp'

caleb
    April 13, 2008 | 10:17 pm

That’s crafty, Krista says, but she’s seen them for sale online. But did you make the music for the video you show?

jordan314
    April 13, 2008 | 10:43 pm

I’d love a link if you guys can find them!
    Yeah I did the music in Reason

caleb
    April 14, 2008 | 9:44 am

But it’s not a roller. Add a handle and you’ve got something! (take one from a disposable razor)

jordan314
    April 14, 2008 | 11:13 am

Yeah I found a rolling one mentioned here but the link is down:
    Search for Fidolino Rolling Music Staff Stamp.
    I never got to see it but if it still existed I would have just bought one. 🙂

I thought about a handle in my initial sketches of the idea:

But now I kind of like the size of it without the handle, otherwise I think it\’d be too bulky. Maybe I\’ll make a smaller version with a handle.

I did initially try a lobsided version like in the sketch:

But it didn\’t work because of the uneven pressure.
    Anyway, if you think of any other improvements (such as a way to get a fine rubber tip at the edge of the metal washers) let me know…

Rochy
    August 27, 2012 | 6:42 am

I asked for that and a friend found a link to buy it online: http://www.musikermode.de/Schreibwaren-307/Notenlinienstempel-316/Notenlinienstempel-Set—Fidolino—mit-25ml-Tinte.html

But is a good idea for make this at home, thanks!

matthew
    April 18, 2013 | 12:46 pm

Very creative. Irony is making a tool that prints lines on paper that has lines… How much staff paper can you buy (or print) for ten bucks? Keep it real.

Love,